How to Make Lemon Water & It’s Health Benefits
Before we get into how to make lemon water as well as the benefits of lemon water before bed, we need to first understand why lemons, in general, are an important food to use for health. Rich in Vitamin C (ascorbic acid), lemons are considered one of the most beneficial fruits. But, the same can be said with many fruits without going into the detail. So, if you want to know specifically why lemons are such a powerful food for your health and why preparing lemon water is an efficient way to obtain the various health benefits of lemons, this post is designed just for you.
What is all the buzz about lemon water?
Easy enough, lemon water is a common beverage made primarily with lemons and water and potentially offers greater health benefits than any alternative drink available. Despite being extremely simple in its approach, there are many reasons to learn how to make lemon water and become a regular consumer. It's no secret, lemon water can provide numerous health advantages in regards to a variety of health concerns, all while being free of side effects. Surely then, you cannot go wrong when choosing to include lemon water into your routine.
Necessary for virtually all life on earth, water bestows the body with nothing but positive effects. Of course, adding lemon into the mix only boosts the great, hydrating effect that plain water has on its own. Now, fruits have unique benefits when consumed at a particular time during the day, and the same can be true with beverages. In the case of lemon water, the best results come after drinking it early in the morning. On the other hand, consuming lemon water before bed can be another great choice in your strategy to gain the many health benefits of this drink.
Why are lemons such a powerful food?
Lemons are commonly known for their high Vitamin C content and rightfully so. Just one small glass of lemon water contains more than half of the recommended daily intake. So, you may ask, why is Vitamin C so important? Well, Vitamin C is actually a critically important vitamin in human health. Unlike many other species, the human body cannot make Vitamin C on its own. As a result, we must obtain this nutrient in our diet. Not only is Vitamin C "a vitamin" but it is also an antioxidant, a water soluble antioxidant in fact. This means that Vitamin C can enter the blood stream relatively quickly, rendering free radicals harmless and engaging in a whole host of other physiological processes that govern the health of the body's systems; including the digestive, immune, respiratory, skeletal, muscular, integumentary, and nervous systems. In addition, lemons contain polyphenols which are beneficial chemical compounds that scientists have linked to numerous, age-defying health benefits.
Preparing your lemon water
Since lemons are bitter tasting, your preference may vary. As a result, ingredients can be modified to fit your personal taste when preparing this appetizing and refreshing health elixir.
1. One lemon
2. 16 ounces of water
Optional: Fresh mint
Things to keep in mind
1. Remember how we said that this is an extremely simple drink? Well, it is and although a drop of honey can certainly enhance the flavor of this remedy, if your goal is weight-loss, it's recommended to avoid adding anything containing concentrated sugar. Although, some fresh mint can surely be added to spice things up and increase the nutrient content. However you decide to prepare your lemon water, just keep in mind, you'll always experience the best results you're seeking by sticking with simple elements.
2. Similar to the point made above, we'd like to reiterate that unlike lemonade, which adds sugar and sometimes a pinch of salt or soda, lemon water is beneficial due to its simplicity.
3. The first ingredient, water, should ideally be filtered and from a clean source.
4. The second ingredient, lemon, must be absolutely fresh and preferably, grown organically.
5. The containers that you use to prepare and serve your lemon water must be clean.
Now, off you go to make a fresh batch of this amazing drink.
How to make lemon water
Now that you have the ingredients and understand the importance of simplicity in relation to lemons and their vital nutritional importance, you are only three steps away from learning how to make lemon water experiencing its various health benefits:
- Step 1: Boil 16 ounces of water until it reaches the lukewarm state, where it is neither too hot nor too cold.
- Step 2: Extract the juice of one whole lemon and pour it into the same container with the lukewarm water.
- Optional: add one sprig of fresh mint
- Step 3: Mix thoroughly
These three simple steps are all you need to make a perfectly healthy lemon water, a simple drink that will help you in more ways than you can even imagine. Starting from weight loss to eliminating harmful toxins from your body, this simple lemon water can be an important aid for your health.
Why choose lemon water over lemonade
As we said above, the simplicity of lemon water might be the reason why it is so beneficial. When you compare it carefully with lemonade, you will know this simple approach is superior in every way. Lemonade has sugar, and salt is sometimes used. These two ingredients can be detrimental to the health of some people, especially when consumed in excess. Instead, pure and simple lemon water in the morning or lemon water before bed can make anyone healthier without aggravating a diabetic or hypertensive condition.
How lemon water can help you
The most common problem nowadays, for people, is fast weight gain which is usually a result of excess calorie intake primarily from refined sugar. As we have mentioned, lemon water is a natural, effective, and easy solution to this increasing rate of obesity as it hydrates and nourishes the body in a true sugar-free way. In the case of lukewarm lemon water, the best results can be experienced when consumed either early in the morning or right before bed. So, now that you have the recipe, you have the power.
The cleansing effect of lemon water
With the increasing consumption of junk food, people are getting weaker and sicker day by day. There is no reason to join this horrible habit, but one thing that can help you get rid of its side effects is lemon water. Using lemon water before bed helps your body cleanse itself in the most beautiful way imaginable.
Because water travels throughout every part of your body, it keeps your cells, organs, and organ systems clean from toxins, and with a hefty dose of Vitamin C and polyphenols, your body is better equipped to tackle the many challenges it is faced with on a daily basis.
In this article we have seen how a simple recipe such as lemon water has more blessings than you might have thought. But there are even more benefits to discuss:
- Lemon contains Vitamin C, which tends to meet your daily requirements and keeps body's systems healthy.
- Your hair and skin will look great. As a matter of fact, lemon water is often used as a home remedy for flawless skin because of it's effectiveness as a good cleanser as a result of its antioxidant content.
- Your digestion will be better. If your start your day with lemon water it will prevent an upset stomach and constipation as well.
- Additionally, consuming lemon water in the morning helps to provide extra cleansing properties to your system before you consume any other food.
- Finally, drinking lemon water before bed can be an efficient way to boost up your basal metabolic rate while balancing your body before a nights rest.
Now that you know the numerous health benefits of lemon water and how to prepare it, you should absolutely try it for yourself and advise your friends, relatives, and neighbors to do the same. Keep it simple and keep it healthy.