Ginger Health Benefits and the Different Types of Ginger
Among the many healthy items you can find in your local supermarket, there is a very particular root that stands out from the rest, as it has so many qualities and benefits that make for a versatile resource in improving health. These attributes have been a key part of the ancient secrets used by Asian people in order to have a better lifestyle. Ginger is indeed, a root with many facets.
Ginger powder is basically the processed version of ginger. To obtain it, it is dried and ground into fine particles afterwards. Ginger is useful in all its forms - grated, powdered, minced and crystallized. Apart from the numerous health benefits that you can obviously derive out of this fragrant plant, you can also get all kinds of culinary benefits as well. Ginger bestows a delicious flavor to many dishes, and can be your cooking and health ally at the same time. These are some of the health benefits ginger has to offer:
- Ginger has been used from ancient times as an anti-inflammatory agent. This root also has anti-flatulent, antioxidant, and antimicrobial properties.
- Ginger contains essential oils such as gingerol, shogaol, farnesene, cineol, and citral. Gingerols have been found to improve the intestinal motility and provide anti-inflammatory, analgesic, and anti-bacterial effects. Also, it has nerve soothing and calming properties.
- Many studies show that ginger decreases nausea caused by motion sickness or pregnancy and may alleviate the symptoms of migraine headaches.
- Studies suggest that zingerone is effective against bacteria that induce diarrhea in children, such as E.coli.
- Vitamins are also present among the components of this singular root, like Pyridoxine (Vitamin B-6), Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Thiamin and a high concentration of Vitamin C, which is of great help when a person suffers from having sore throat, common cold or just the annoying cough.
- If you mix lemon or orange juice with honey and ginger slices, this powerful drink will protect the vocal cords from getting affected by harmful bacteria that could eventually affect a person’s voice through an infection. Its lack of cholesterol grants a better digestion for people who eat it as well as a progressive weight loss. It alleviates as well the symptoms associated with PMS.
For these reasons, ginger root is widely used in natural medicine to alleviate symptoms and cure many diseases: it has been used to treat motion sickness, menstrual cramps, food poisoning, digestion problems, joint pain, and even as a mood enhancer.
What are the most useful types of ginger?
Ginger is mainly used in four different forms:
1. Minced ginger
2. Ginger powder
3. Crystallized ginger
4. Grated ginger
How useful is minced ginger?
Minced ginger can be used in numerous ways and provide you with benefits of all sorts. Some of its notable applications include the following:
- You can use the minced form of ginger for the preparation of various kinds of dishes. Starting from the most authentic Indian vegetarian dishes to the non-vegetarian ones, minced ginger will definitely help you rendering flavor to every dish in the tastiest way imaginable.
- Most people dislike how ginger looks in their dishes. When you mince the ginger you will no longer see it, and all that remains is the liquefied version, keeping the intense flavors. Everybody will hugely appreciate having the taste of ginger without actually seeing it.
- If you wish to spice your cocktail up or make a little spicy candy, all you need is the minced form of ginger.
- Minced ginger is the ideal choice if you wish to prepare the best kinds of sushi.
- It also serves as an adequate ingredient in the preparation of cough syrup.
- Ginger is one those ingredients that Asians cannot stop using. In the majority of their dishes, the minced form of ginger is their secret taste.
What are the uses of Ginger powder?
Ginger powder is considered to have the maximum variety of uses. Some of its notable applications are:
1. Use in Cooking
Ginger should be dried properly, and only afterwards it can be powdered. If you are all set to prepare a dry dish with zero liquid, all you need is the ginger powder to add just the right flavor you are looking for without any extra water content.
- Be it gingerbread or any other kind of baked product with a spicy essence, the powdered ginger will do the trick.
- Whenever you need to prepare barbecued items, powdered ginger is what really comes in handy and saves the day in the most crucial of situations. The flavor of ginger adds an extra taste to the food you prepare, and it is also good for your health.
- Pregnant women with a craving for a spicy taste can feel safe by choosing food rich in ginger powder.
- Last but not the least; if you wish to drink your share of spicy tea, it will be practically impossible without the presence of powdered ginger.
2. Beauty benefits
Powdered ginger is useful in more ways than you might have imagined. If you have no money to get your share of toner or moisturizer, all you need is two tablespoons of ginger powder and water to prepare your own natural toner with zero side effects. This will not only help you protect your skin by keeping it soft, smooth and clean, but it will also effective and inexpensive.
Moreover, if you have unwanted pimples or acne troubling you to the core ginger powder can be your solution. You can mix it with milk powder to get rid of those troublesome acne marks and black spots.
3. Health-related benefits
It is not only about the looks. Powdered ginger is extremely beneficial for your health as well. Here is why:
- If you have bowel issues, the consumption of powdered ginger is sure to cure it for good.
- If you are suffering from cough and cold, all you need to do is to consume the powdered ginger along with honey and pepper to clear your throat and feel fresh.
- If you mix together milk with ginger powder and bathe them in, it cleanses your skin and makes it glow.
- That's not the end of it. If you consume powdered ginger with milk, it will help you get rid of urinary infections.
How is crystallized ginger useful?
Crystallized ginger, or ginger candies, are way more beneficial than you might have known yet. Some of its benefits are given below:
- Having ginger candies at night or after eating can help you get rid of acidity and stomach burning, which is an highly common problem.
- If you feel nauseous, a great and affordable choice to help you get back on track are crystallized ginger candies. Having one of these will make you feel fresh both from within and outside.
- In alternative medicine, they are used as a cure for a different kinds of cancer.
- You won't have to swallow these candies to avoid a horrible medicine taste. Despite its numerous health benefits, they are quite tasty. They are you go-to health candies.
Why choose grated ginger?
Grated ginger has many culinary uses as well as health benefits, which exceed that of many other herbs and spices. While some people may be more aware than others of the great health advantages ginger offers, in all, grated ginger is an awesome super-food ingredient to incorporate into your diet. Most Chinese, Thai, Indian dishes rely on this spice for a nutrition and flavor boost and are truly incomplete without the addition of grated ginger. So, if you feel that grated ginger may not be for you, try it out and see. You have nothing to lose and all to gain!
Now that you know the benefits of the four most commonly used forms of ginger, you are sure to understand why it is named every time by cooks and herbalists. When it comes to common cold, fever or any other trivial illness, the one natural solution to it all is ginger. Therefore, start using ginger, consume it regularly and save yourself.