The Best Home Pilates Machines for Toned Body
Imagine being able to strengthen and tone your core muscles without having to do crunches or sit-ups. Thanks to Joseph Pilates, the creator of Pilates, we don't have to imagine anymore. Pilates exercises are able to target all the core muscles, toning and strengthening them as well as improving flexibility and overall stability.
Pilates is an amazingly dynamic way to build, strengthen and tone, not only your core muscles but also your glutes and legs. With dedication, you can get a flat tummy, firm buttocks, and killer legs all by just doing Pilates. However, Pilates can be a difficult to master exercise, which is why there are many Pilates machines that make sure your technique and form are correct to guarantee get a more intense and precise workout.
Yoga is a great alternative (or addition) to a pilates routine, if you would like to exercise without any resistance and want to become more flexible. Pilates has similar exercises to yoga, but is more focused on core strength, rather than flexibility. Regardless, you can buy yoga mats to use a portable pilates machine on, as well as doing your yoga routine at home.
Muscles Targeted By Pilates Machines
- The Rectus Abdominis is the primary muscle targeted by a Pilates exercise machine. This is basically your six pack, a muscle located in the front of your abdomen, running along your anterior abdominal wall. Tendinous intersections separate your rectus abdominis into sections, which is the reason why it looks segmented into different pieces. If your muscles are toned in these areas your six pack will become more pronounced and noticeable.
- The external oblique muscle is the outermost and largest muscle in the abdomen and is found on the anterolateral part of your abdomen, next to the Rectus Abdominis. This muscle is usually surrounded with fat, especially in women, thus making it difficult to see for many, unless it's properly trained.
- The internal oblique muscle is located beneath the external oblique muscle, and also runs next to the rectus abdominis muscles.
- Erector spinae -These are a group of back muscles that run along the length of the back. Pilates exercises strengthen your back muscles, thereby increasing the stability and strength of your back. In some cases, this alone can get rid of back pain.
- Gluteus maximus - These muscles are located in your upper thigh and buttocks.
- Quadriceps - Your quads are the four muscles located at the front of your thigh.
- Pelvic floor muscles - These muscles hold the pelvic organs in position, and they are very important to control the normal bladder function.
- Hamstring - The hamstrings is a group of three muscles, located at the back of your thigh and this type of exercises stretches and strengthens them as well.
Choosing the Best Pilates Machine for Your Home: Our Recommendations
Choosing the best Pilates machine can be a challenge, especially with so many different options to choose from, it can seem like a daunting task, but rest easy newbie Pilates machine user. Below is a list of 5 of the best Pilates machines for home use currently on the market.
Manufactured by Beverly Hills Fitness
This nifty tower of toning is currently one of the bestselling Pilates machine. Specifically designed to give you that ultimate total body transforming workout as well as a studio quality workout in the comfort of your home.
- The best thing about this machine is that it comes assembled, so you literally can use it out of the box; and it's foldable, making it easy to store.
- This machine is made with high-quality materials with a sturdy steel frame and a sumptuously, luxuriously looking wooden barre
- Two tension coils will provide enough resistance as well as two foot / hand straps to ensure comfort.
- This machine also comes with an instructional DVD which is helpful for those Pilates newbies.
The aim of the makers of this machine was to make a high quality product with an affordable price, and they hit the nail on the head with this one. If you are one of those skeptics and still have your reservations after seeing how inexpensive it is, then you should know that it comes with a one year warranty. This machine is the number one best-selling Pilates equipment for a reason.
Manufactured by Beverly Hills Fitness
This machine is the worlds first folding Cadillac trap table designed to allow you flexibility and diversity in your workout as well as comfort.
- An adjustable toning tower with a foam density pad will make this a fantastic equipment to be used for yoga as well.
- This machine comes with four resistance bands ensuring a good solid workout
- This Pilates machine can support a weight of 300 lbs making it relatively strong and sturdy.
- It's foldable and has wheels, which makes for easy storage and also has a locking strap to ensure that it stays shut.
- This machine also comes with an air pump for your body and ab workouts, a wooden bar for upper body and Pilates workouts, and a ab and body ball for barre.
- With the amazing technology of free flow resistance this machine will ensure you get a challenging workout.
- It comes with 5 instructional DVD's for cardio, Pilates, barre and more.
You could have one of the best Pilates machine at home, with its heavy steel structure and wooden finish you would feel like you are actually in a studio.
Manufactured by Stamina Product Inc
This is the ultimate machine, and is one of the best Pilates machine for home, it will literally take your Pilates workout to a whole new level.
- This machine is L 98 x W 23.5 x H 15 inches with the rebounder measuring W 14 x H 19 inches making it a faint of a Pilates machine, it can literally be used by anyone of any height and any size.
- This machine is 8 inches longer than your standard Pilates machines and has adjustable headrests, ropes, straps as well as the foot rests adjusting up to three positions making it comfortable for anyone to use.
- There are force-resistance springs on this machine with different levels of resistance allowing you to adjust the amount of resistance as per your workout needs.
- It has commercial grade ball bearing wheels to ensure that your workout is smoother and much quieter than regular machines.
- The free-form rebounder on this machine ensures you get a cardiovascular fitness workout and also will shed all that unwanted fat.
- This machine is currently one of the safest machines on the market due to its stability and reinforced components.
This machine is a total winner. With four resistances, you can have a high intensity workout session at the highest resistance level or you could have a fat burning workout with a lower resistance shredding that extra fat and toning those muscles. This equipment is also great for a regular relaxing exercise, just to keep you in shape at the lowest resistance level.
With the strong steel frame that has a five year warranty and the beautifully crafted oak finish this machine is certainly in a league of its own.
Manufactured by Stamina Product Inc
This machine is also made by Stamina so you could say it's a sister machine to the Stamina AeroPilates Pro XP 557 just a little cheaper and a little less pretty, but the results are essentially the same.
- This machine is foldable and has wheels so you can move and store it easily.
- This machine also comes with a stand, thereby allowing you to elevate the machine for a more challenging workout . It has an adjustable headrest and hand / foot straps that are padded ensuring comfort.
- This machine has elastic resistance cords and you can make rope length adjustment easily with the clips.
This machine is just as neatly put together as the Stamina AeroPilates Pro XP 557 Home Pilates reformer with free cardio Rebounder, only a bit cheaper due to it not having all the feature that the Stamina AeroPilates Pro XP 557 Home Pilates reformer with free cardio Rebounder has.
Manufactured by KASWIT INC
This machine is the mother of all Pilates reformers and takes the place of 17 weight machines.
- This machine is made from carbon steel making it extremely strong and sturdy and it can hold a maximum weight of 300 lbs.
- This machine is not your average Pilates machine it targets your entire body, be it your abs or back or shoulders, they all get a work out with this beauty.
- It comes with a variety of resistance cords allowing you to adjust your level of fitness in mere second’s.
- Also it comes with 3 workout DVD's by none other than Kristin McGee
Essentially this machine is a multiple working machine in one, allowing you to do Pilates as well as various strength exercise thereby making it great for the whole family and the best Pilates machine for home.
If you are still unsure about the above machines then check out some of the other best-selling Pilates machines below
- Stamina AeroPilates Pro XP 556 Home Pilates Reformer and Free Form Cardio Rebounder - (Manufactured by Stamina)
- Stamina AeroPilates Reformer with Free-Form Cardio Rebounder - (Manufactured by Stamina)
- Pilates Power Gym Pro' 3-Elevation Pilates Mini Reformer - (Manufactured by KASWIT INC)
- Stamina AeroPilates Performer 286 without Rebounder - (Manufactured by Stamina)
- Pilates Power Gym Pro - 3 Elevation Mini Reformer Exercise System - (Manufactured by KASWIT INC)
What to Look for in the Best Home Pilates Machine
Pilates machines aren't cheap and you don't want to waste money on a machine that isn't suitable to your needs, below is a list of things to look at when buying a Pilates machine:
- Does the machine come with a warranty or guarantee? In case it doesn't, it probably means that the materials used to manufacture it are of substandard, and is likely to break after a while.
- Look at the materials the machine is made of, in the description it should say "strong" "sturdy" and "steel".
- Check if the machine adjustable, including the straps and also check to see if it's made of a comfortable material. Remember you are going to be using this piece of equipment for a long period of time, and if you aren't comfortable with it, you will not create a healthy habit.
- How big is the machine and does it store away easily? If you are going to be doing Pilates in the comfort of your home you need to be able to easily move your machine around and put away easily. Always make sure your machine has wheels as this would make for easy movement.
- Check to see if there are any instructional DVDs that come with the machine. Pilates exercises sometimes differentiate depending on the machine. Instructional DVD's make for easy and correct use of the machine, especially if you are a Pilates machine newbie, without proper instructions you could hurt yourself.
- If you are buying the machine for more than one person to use or for family use then make sure that the machine is adjustable and ensure that the adjustable height is long enough for the tallest person to fit comfortably. As sometimes with the cheaper Pilates machines you cannot make adjustments.
- Are there any attachments for this machine? Many Pilates and "barre" machines should come with some air ball attachments in order to obtain maximum benefit from your machine.
Pilates Machines: A Great Way to Get Exercising
All in all, I think it's essential to have a Pilates machine at home, and with these machines coming so compact, affordable and easy to store it makes doing Pilates at home so easy.
Also if you're the “I’ll exercise tomorrow” kind of person, then you should definitely get a Pilates machine because after taking just one look at these beautifully crafted machines you'll certainly be inspired to exercise.
Buying a Pilates machine for home is an investment and essentially in the long run will save you the time of having to go to a studio and the money of having to pay for individual sessions and I personally think that there's nothing better than getting into shape in the comfort of your own home.